Real Estate Transaction in Indonesia (2)

Monday, 30 December 2019 00:00

Real estate transaction in Indonesia is pretty straight forward but yet tricky as well as interesting business practise. Several aspects blended in one single deal. It involves various legal fields such as property law, taxation law, inheritance law, as well as family law in general. In real estate transaction, the most familiar and usual one is sale and purchase transaction. It happens on daily basis. It just business as usual. 

The Basic Agrarian Law in Indonesia stipulates that sales and purchase transaction is the evidence that proves the transfer of title from the seller to the buyer. The law imposed that real estate transaction must be carried out and meet two criterias i.e. transparent and paid in full. It must be carried out in front of and under the supervision of the authorized officer. The law also imposed that it must be paid in full. In other words, the transaction cannot be executed if you have any shortfall in the payment. 

These are the things that you need to do before you proceed with the sale and purchase in real estate transaction in Indonesia:

Background Check

This is a must. No transaction can be carried-out without any formal background check. In order to do this, you need to supply us with the original certificate of ownership. The legal status of the property will be unable to be verified without any originals. 

The Seller's Information

You need to obtain the information from the seller that contain the following documents/information:

  1. Copy of Kartu Tanda Penduduk (So called "KTP"). If he's married, you need to obtain his spouse's KTP too. Chances are, the spouse will also require to sign the sale and purchase agreement with you. If they have no prenuptial agreement, it means the property you are buying is their marital asset, and therefore spousal consent is statutorily required. Otherwise, the transaction you're dealing with potentially illegal;
  2. Family card (so called Kartu Keluarga/KK). This document shows family members of the seller;
  3. Marriage certificate, if applicable. In the event, the spouse passed-away, you need to obtain his/her death certificate. In the event the seller is divorced, you need to obtain his divorce verdict and the property division certifying the property is being sold is hers or his;
  4. Original of certificate of land ownership;
  5. PBB tax payment. We called it SPPT PBB. This represents payment of the current of building and land tax. This document is important in order to identify the tax applicable in this transaction. You will find out how much the seller should pay, and how much tax you should pay as the buyer.
  6. Tax payer's number. So called "NPWP."

The Buyer's Information

If you're buying the property, you need to make sure you have the following documents available for the transaction:

  1. Copy of KTP. When you're married, you need to supply your spouse's KTP too. Unless, if you signed a marital agreement, like a valid prenuptial or postnuptial agreement. Please contact me for more details about thing thing. If you're a mixed-married couple, most likely you can't execute any transaction without this agreement;
  2. Family card. This would also be required in order to identify your next of kin legally. This document has your information on your Nomor Induk Kependudukan/NIK (Residency Registration Number) that will refer to your tax information. This is very important when we validate tax applicable to this transaction;
  3. Marriage certificate. We need to know your status, and how the state will treat the property under the current status i.e separate property or joint property. This certificate will have to come with the marital agreement, if applicable;
  4. NPWP. They need copy of your tax payer number in order to validate the tax applicable to this transaction. 

Sale and Purchase Agreement

Your intention to conduct sale and purchase transaction must be written in the form of agreement. We called it SPA (Sales and Purchase Agreement). Both the seller and the buyer must be present to sign the SPA. You must come with your spouse if you're married.

A valid document like a marital agreement must be presented as well in the event you have a separation of property in your marriage. A prenup or postnuptial can serve as the document that you require no assistance from your spouse. With this document, your spouse doesn't have  to come with you to sign the SPA.

A valid SPA must be lodged to the land registry office in order to transfer the title from the seller to the buyer. One thing you need to be aware of payment of the current year taxation must be settled before the title is being transferred. A tax validation will be carried-out before title transferred is being conducted. 

My name is Asep Wijaya. Thank you for reading my posts!


Our thanks to Asep Wijaya, Managing Director of Wijaya & Co for sharing this information with us!



My name is Asep Wijaya. I am an attorney. This article is about my works in the field of law I have been doing regarding legal issues in international civil law in Indonesia. You may use my articles without permission as long as you mention my name, the article tile, and our website address.

Thank you for reading my posts.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© 2023. All Rights Reserved